[Scottish] Re: Scottish digest, Vol 1 #172 - 2 msgs

Steve Logan scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Apr 7 08:48:00 2003

I'll just add another plug for Mozilla 1.3 which runs on XP and Linux.
You'll need to 'train' it - ie tell it what you consider spam and,
equally, what you DON'T consider spam - and within a week it'll be
catching 99% of the junk.

The only downside I can see is that it doens't run server side, ie you
actually have to download the email body before the filter can work on it.

Graeme Mathieson wrote:
> In <VA.0000162c.0019507d@ntlworld.com>,
> on Mon, 07 Apr 2003 01:38:42 +0100, Harry Sigerson writes:
>

>>     I downloaded and installed Span Assassin version 'SAproxy' for
>>Windows XP and configured it.
>

> Since you're looking for something for Windows XP, I can't help
> wondering why you thought it would be appropriate to ask here.
>
> That said, Spambayes[1] is one of these fancy Bayesian anti-spam filters
> which will take a little training, but apparently works quite well.  As
> a bonus, it works on Linux and win32 among other things and it even has
> an Outlook plugin.
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/

Dr Steve Logan, engineering software