[Scottish] 54G

Jim Jarvie scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Apr 10 23:20:00 2003

Yes - to experience with 54g & 11b.

I've used Belkin WAP & Linksys print servers etc.

Best prices I found were from eBuyer (www.ebuyer.co.uk) and their prices=
=20
are pretty good.

Code 31034 - =A362.99 - Belkin 11b WAP
Code 45623 - =A373.98 - Belkin 54g WAP
Code 31057 - =A337.07 - Belkin 11b USB.

(All need to have VAT added)

2Mb internet access rocks and 11b will easily transfer this across the=20
road.  I'm not so sure about 54g Linux drivers right now...

My experience is that 11b does a little better for signal strength and=20
even a 54g WAP in the same room and less than 5m from a client was=20
rejected in favour of an 11b WAP at around 20m away through 3 walls -=20
perhaps just a one-off turbo-charged 11b WAP but the 54g client was=20
pretty sure the best signal was from the 11b and not the nearer 54g=20
WAP...

(Remember you can just go Ad-Hoc if it is just a small network - the=20
Belkin 11b USB adaptors work fine for my rather aged SuSE installations =

and Linux can provide the IP forwarding etc.)

Finally, if you are in Glasgow, you might want to consider setting these=
=20
as part of GlasgowNet (If you don't mind sharing that lovely 2Mb interne=
t=20
link with anyone who cares to park outside your house).  Just post=20
directions to the list.  A street LAN-Party anyone ?

On 10/04/03, 17:12:36, Allan Bruce <allanmb@dsl.pipex.com> wrote regardi=
ng=20
[Scottish] 54G:

> Hi there,

> Does Anybody have any experience with 54g or 802.11g? A mate of mine i=
> moving across the road and we thought we would get a 2Mb ADSL line and=
=20
share