[Scottish] 54G

Andrew Back scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 11 08:55:00 2003

I'm pretty sure 802.11b would be more robust than 802.11g. IIRC 11g uses
the same modulation scheme(s) as 11a, and the higher the data rate, more
complex the modulation - the greater the demand for quality on the
underlying radio link.

Although if both APs were the same distance away you'd expect similar
received signal strengths. I guess it's more likely that one AP was more
powerful - higher output / better aerial. Not all (many?) cards and APs
put out the max 100mW EIRP that your allowed. So if range and/or link
reliability are important I'd check out EIRP levels of the kit. And
for a point to point link probably wouldn't bother with 11g what it being
new and likely less robust, unless you need >11Mb/s.

Andrew

Andrew Back
a@smokebelch.org