[Scottish] Modem autoanswer

Colin McKinnon scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 15 08:50:00 2003

Paul Millar wrote:

>Hi Janice,
>
>On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Janice wrote:
>

>>I have recently installed SuSE Professional 7.3 and have an external modem
>>(Diamond SupraExpress 56e Memory - but no manual).
>>Can I stop the modem from answering incoming calls?

<snip>

>>So, to stop the modem from answering incoming calls, try:
>>
>>     echo "AT S0=0" > /dev/modem         (.. or /dev/ttyS0 or whatever)
>>
>>and see if that works.  If you've got minicom installed, that might be a
>>better way of doing this, because you can look for the modem saying "OK"
>>in response.

But you will lose this settings when the modem is reset / power cycled.
"AT&W0" will save the current settings such that they are restored next
time you switch / reset your modem. i..e. start up minicom, make sure
its connected to your modem, set S0, then save the config:

AT
ok
ATS0=0
ok
AT&W0
ok

HTH

Colin
(still looking for Unix / Linux admin work in Glasgow area)