[Scottish] SuSE 8.2 passwords question

neil sinclair scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Aug 25 20:47:01 2003

Hi -
I'm having a problem with either a) my own ignorance or b) SuSE's password
management.

My problem is this: I set password expiry at 30 days, and my wife ignored the
messages and didn't change her password. Not her fault, I should have shown
her how, but let's not go there...

Anyway, now SuSE will not let me set a new password for her, or at least will
not log her on with her new password.

I've tried YAST, and I've tried using PASSWD at the command line. PASSWD works
fine for changing my password, and I can then log on using it.

My wife's account acts differently - I can change the password (or at least I
get no error messages), but no log on.

If I log on at a terminal (CTRL-ALT-F2 type of terminal), I sometimes think I
see a message saying that the account has expired, or something similar.

Is there some magic I can do to reinstate the account?

As a last resort I'll delete the old account, create a new one in the same
name, and hope that there'll be no problems. I suspect there will be, so that
is definitely my last port of call.

Help!

Thanks in advance,

Neil.