[Scottish] The Future of the LUG (was: Re: Next Meeting)

Ian Ruffell ian.ruffell at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Dec 9 19:54:20 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 3:58 pm, Ben Thorp wrote:
> Feb - Debate - will Linux be ready for the desktop in 2004
<bits snipped>
> Tony has advised that he doesn't think that a debate is a good idea, so we
> can change that one.

I don't know about a debate as such, but it would be handy to have a
discussion about the prospects and obstacles on this one.  OK, this is a bit
selfish, since I find myself doing the advocate thing within my organisation
from time to time.  Part of what I would be interested in is software-related
(e.g. my major concern still is the Access replacement - both Rekall and
Kexio are getting there, perhaps) but also to do with institutions and
processes.

I would like the name GLUG myself, but that possibly says more about me than
anything else ;-)

The speaker meetings are what would interest me the most.

At which point I should acknowledge that I've never actually made it to a
meeting ;-)  Most recently it's because it clashes with Glasgow meetings of
the Green Party ...

(Ahem, minor plug: the Greens have a very pro-open source policy; the Green
MSP for Glasgow, Patrick Harvie, is a Linux user and has been prodding the
Executive to shift away from Microsoft.)

Ian

--
Ian Ruffell
Tel.: 0781 3101934