[Scottish] The Future of the LUG

Ian Ruffell ian.ruffell at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Dec 10 20:05:50 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 1:50 pm, Ben Thorp wrote:
> Perhaps we could get the key person to come to the LUG and talk about why
> they want to move to Linux, what they see as the Pros, and Cons, what their
> current barriers to moving are, and then see if we can offer assistance in
> any way?

Just for clarification: it's more a case of persuading folk like the Scottish
Executive and the Scottish Parliament Corporate Body to shift off MS; not to
mention encouraging similar moves in the public sector at large.  Pat talks
about this (with text of parliamentary questions, etc.) on his website
(www.patrickharviemsp.com).

That's not to say that other parties are not interested: I also saw Nicola
Sturgeon of the SNP make positive noises abour open source software recently.
As Willie was saying, coalitions ...

Internally, the Green machines in Glasgow are all on various flavours of
Debian at the moment (putting our technology where our mouth is).  Can't
answer for the Edinburgh mob, though.

Apologies for confusion - my institutional advocacy issues are elsewhere
entirely :-)

Enough politicking already...

Cheers,

Ian