[Scottish] The Future of the LUG

Colin.Speirs at scotland.gsi.gov.uk Colin.Speirs at scotland.gsi.gov.uk
Thu Dec 11 10:11:14 GMT 2003

> > Just for clarification: it's more a case of persuading folk
> like the
> > Scottish
> > Executive and the Scottish Parliament Corporate Body to
> shift off MS; not to
> > mention encouraging similar moves in the public sector at
> large.  Pat talks
> > about this (with text of parliamentary questions, etc.) on
> his website
> > (www.patrickharviemsp.com).
>
> It's not so much getting politicians away from using
> Microsoft's products (although it could save a substantial
> amount) as getting them away from closed, secret, non-free
> document formats.  I can foresee problems ahead when all
> those documents written in Word 95 suddenly aren't readable
> when Office 2005 comes out and support for older formats is
> dropped (not that Microsoft would do such a thing, would they?)

As an IT person working in IT for the Scottish Executive I'm saying nothing.
However I think your chances of getting anything done in the short term
considering there has just been a massive Microsoft based OS roll-out are
minimal to say the least.

cds

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.