[Scottish] X authentication

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Mon Dec 22 23:18:06 GMT 2003

Sorry, boring technical question coming....

I'm trying to make sense of authentication in X, specifically with regard to
load balancing of Xclients across a small set of workstations. Its mostly
just out of curiosity but I might eventually apply it for real.

So far I've managed to work out that XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 is where I want to
be, but how do I get there? If I do an xauth list I get an
XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 cookie and a MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 for both addresses on my
machine and both for TCP and unix sockets (2x2x2=8 cookies!).

Since XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 seems far superior to MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1, how do I
only get the former type of cookie on my system? Will it have dire
consequences for some of my apps (no legacy binaries) if I manage to only get
the former?

Note that just to confuse matters further I'm using kdm for logging in!

...and if anyone has any recommendation for load-balancing tools suitable for
end-user programs I'd love to hear about them - everything I've looked at so
far is very services oriented and doesn't really want to deal with changing
privileges/uids.

TIA

Colin