[Scottish] ScotLUG 2004 (and all the rest)

Ben Thorp THORPB at uk.ibm.com
Tue Dec 23 09:31:42 GMT 2003

Firstly, can I apologise for the use of IRC names in my original post - it
was simply that I did not know everyones full name. Admittedly, I probably
could have endeavoured to find these out, but I'm bone idle. I'm sorry that
it has produced such a negative reaction. Here is the amended list, still
missing some surnames, but we'll get there:

January - Bring your favourite Linux book/gadget; time to show off all
those cool things you got for Christmas, and inspire some geek envy.
February - William Anderson on Smoothwall
March - Gordon on encryption (aimed at all levels)
April - Easter Quiz (Kevin? up for this again)
May - Gaming on Linux (volunteers to demo some games?)
June - Me (Ben) on something - maybe Python or MagicPoint, or something
like that?

I think that this is a reasonable talk schedule, and that it meets the
needs of most of our attendees in one way or another.

Tony: I can fully understand how let down you must feel about the way your
'creation' has been run down over the last 6 months. I don't think anyone
would disagree that things have not been as they should be. However, I
think that we _are_ on the road to recovery, and I for one would very much
appreciate your participation in the group. (As a point of note, the report
of your 'demise' is very much a misquote of a 50-word description that I
wrote about ScotLUG for Linux Format, which I'm beginning to wish I had
never written in the first place)

In terms of the raging debate over IRC/Mailing List/Meetings, I find it
scary how heated it has become. I had always felt that the main focus of
the ScotLUG should be the meetings, and that the list, and IRC, were simply
other mediums of communication and help in-between times. However, I do
believe we need all 3, as they all cater for different people.

Final point: I am still of the opinion that we do not need a committee, nor
any other form of formal constitution. It has always been stated in the
past that not having this, and in particular not having any money involved,
has been one of the reasons for the longevity of the LUG. I suggest that it
remains that way. Having said that, there always has been, and always will
be, key players within the group. In the past Tony has fulfilled this role,
ably assisted by one or two others (forgive me if my history is wrong). It
would seem that there are still people willing to take a more key role
(myself, Kyle, Willie, etc), but there is a fear that this will be seen as
some form of 'mutiny'.

Can I suggest that, along with all the other things that are planned for
the meeting, that (while the discussion will continue on both IRC and
mailing list) we use the January meeting to settle what will happen (and
more importantly how) for the rest of the year.

Meanwhile, I have seen no objections to the above talk schedule, and so
hope that this is OK.

Ben Thorp