[Scottish] Connecting to BT through surftime

Robert (Rob) M. Schneider scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Feb 2 07:30:01 2003

grburns wrote:

>Have connected modem and checked log - connection fails at password
>authentication - I've asked BT about connection through Linux but they were
>not very helplful
>
>George Burns

George,

Connecting to BT Surftime with a Linux box works fine.  I used it for
years, but am now on Telewest Broadband.  Yes, you won't get assistance
from BT as they don't spend the money to provide staff with Linux
knowledge or experience, or provide documented guidance on their web
site.  Whether or not that's the "right" answer for BT and their
customers is moot.

I would recommend you use the program wvdial. It will greatly simplify
setup, and provide you the ability to debug configuration settings for
any problems that arise.  It may already be installed on your Linux box,
if not, easily found via Google.