[Scottish] DVD - decode in software or hardware

Graeme Boyd scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jan 4 12:31:00 2003

Hi Gavin,

I used to watch DVD using a 300MHz IBM Thinkpad with WinDVD software
decoding under windows without any problems so I see no reason why you
shouldn't be able to get it to work.

I have used a program called Ogle under linux on a dual (intel) 500Mhz
system and it worked flawlessly:
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/
Ogle provides software only decoding.

Your graphics card makes a big difference to DVD playback speed if the
software and drivers can make use of it, so it might be worth looking
into whether you have the latest drivers and/or a change of software.

Finally, I have a system here which has a VIA chipset based motherboard
(and a 433MHz proc).  Upgrading the bios provided a huge increase in
speed so this is worth looking into.

Good luck!

Graeme