[Scottish] Debian: leafnode 1.9.27 keeps re-fetching all newsgroups from remote news-server(s)

David Marsh's list-reading hat scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 10 17:25:01 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 20:38:44 +0000
Graeme Mathieson <mathie+slug@wossname.org.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 05:03:21PM +0000, David Marsh's list-reading
> hat wrote:> On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 18:35:42 +0000

> Of course, you could just ask broonie@debian.org.  He's really quite
> friendly, if he's in a good mood. :-)

Ah, thanks for that..

> > > Having never used leafnode, I don't know if it's a configuration
> > > problem, but can you get a trace of the NNTP conversation?
> >
> > Call me thick, but how do I do that?
>
> In leafnode, no idea.  I'd probably use ethereal to snarf the stream
> and put it back together again...

Sounds like too much work for me, I'm afraid(!) :-(
I /might/ look into that, but I think I've now identified what might be
the problem (see next message).

> > bug-testing, as I'm sure we all know, is no fun at
> > all :-( )
>
> Bug hunting, squishing and testing is one of the few pleasures left in
> programming.  You get to curse lots, trying to figure out what on
> earth the eejit that was writing stuff in the first place was doing.
> Then you get to do a little coding.  Then you get the satisfaction of
> seeing the bug fixed and the program working just the way you want it.
>  Oh, and the aggravation of trying to be nice to the upstream
>  maintainer while politely explaining that he's a raving moron.

Hmm..
I think I have new-found respect for the work that bug-testers do. I can
see the real satisfaction you would get in nailing bugs in your own
code, and _just about_ see the "interest" in the task of actually doing
the tracking down, but bug-testing others' code must be one of the
dreariest jobs going. So, "this Budvar's for you, Mr/Ms Unthanked
Bug-tester Person" ;-)

--
David Marsh, <email in header is valid>  | http://web.viewport.co.uk/