[Scottish] Debian: leafnode 1.9.27 keeps re-fetching all newsgroups from remote news-server(s)

Graeme Mathieson scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 9 20:39:00 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 05:03:21PM +0000, David Marsh's list-reading hat wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 18:35:42 +0000
> Graeme Mathieson <mathie+slug@wossname.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > [ If you ask on the Edlug list, the Debian package maintainer of
> >   Leafnode would be quite likely to notice, btw. :-) ]
>
> Ah, that might be remarkably handy.
> What's the address (and do I have to subscribe to post)?

http://www.edlug.org.uk/ will probably give you all the exciting
details.

Of course, you could just ask broonie@debian.org.  He's really quite
friendly, if he's in a good mood. :-)

> > Having never used leafnode, I don't know if it's a configuration
> > problem, but can you get a trace of the NNTP conversation?
>
> Call me thick, but how do I do that?

In leafnode, no idea.  I'd probably use ethereal to snarf the stream and
put it back together again...

> bug-testing, as I'm sure we all know, is no fun at
> all :-( )

Bug hunting, squishing and testing is one of the few pleasures left in
programming.  You get to curse lots, trying to figure out what on earth
the eejit that was writing stuff in the first place was doing.  Then you
get to do a little coding.  Then you get the satisfaction of seeing the
bug fixed and the program working just the way you want it.  Oh, and the
aggravation of trying to be nice to the upstream maintainer while
politely explaining that he's a raving moron.
--
Right now, there are scr1pt k1dd13s plotting to DDoS my network, my co-lo
server is not responding  to pings and  the people that I IRC with may be