[Scottish] Hardware recommendations?

John Ollason scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jan 16 09:03:04 2003

Greetings,

	I lurk, and learn, but very seldom post. I am currently running
RedHat 7.something on ageing Viglen hardware. I got VMWare to run on a
homebrew pentium systen running RedHat 6.1 but never got it fully sorted
out on Redhat 7.... I have some cash to spare and would like to buy a
machine with linux installed---Doesn't have to be the RedHat distribution,
which seems to get bulkier and bulkier with every release---with VMWare
installed and some kind of MS operating system Win98? installed under
VMWare and configured to talk to the linux side without needing access to
the internet. The main use of the system will be heavy number crunching
under GCC and GPC (legacy code in Pascal). DELL kit looks appealing, but
is there any body who can supply me (even at a price) with the operating
systems set up and running as I would like them? I know enough to connect
the linux side to the local server, but I don't know anything about MS
internet configuration.

Any advice gratefully received,

John O.