[Scottish] If you had a choice between...

Ian Ruffell scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jan 21 18:38:01 2003

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 11:04 am, George Richard Russell wrote:
> george wrote:
> SuSE, if you don't have a fast internet connection. A staggering breadt=
> of applications included on ~7 CD's.
>
> Make sure you get the professional edition.
>
> The paper documentation is also quite good.

Just to add to the SuSE voices, I've been using 7.1 (after RedHat up to 6=
=2E2)=20
for a couple of years and am v. happy with it.  It was only the personal=20
edition and so I've found myself having to add a fair few new packages, s=
o I=20
would next time go for the Professional edition.  Setup and admin v.=20
straightforward.  I'm thinking of upgrading shortly, possibly switching t=
o=20
Debian, though (for any number of the reasons that folk go Debian; and I'=
ll=20
get round to putting Debian on my ibook at some point anyway), but as a=20
commercial desktop distro, I would stick with SuSE.=20

Two things that immediately (and still) struck me about the thought that =
goes=20
into the distro were i) that it searches for a braille display before=20
installation, ii) the voluminous manuals include material on workplace=20
ergonomics.  Oh yeah, and the mascot is kind of cute.

And I would also recommend Linux Emporium very highly indeed.

Cheers,

Ian

--=20
Dr. I. A. Ruffell,