[Scottish] FlameWar: Window managers

Ben Thorp scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jan 29 11:17:01 2003

I've been using Fluxbox happily for a long time now - very easy on the
hardware, very little window or desktop 'clutter'. If you like icons,
simply add something like idesk or acidlaunch. And it's rock solid, IMHO.

Ben Thorp

                      Paul Millar
                      <paulm@astro.gla.ac.uk        To:       scotlug <scottish@mailman.lug.org.uk>
                      >                             cc:
                      Sent by:                      Subject:  Re: [Scottish] FlameWar: Window managers
                      scottish-admin@mailman
                      .lug.org.uk

                      29/01/03 11:06
                      Please respond to
                      scottish

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Colin McKinnon wrote:
> Guess who got root-kitted last week.

   }:^>

Join the gang. I think anyone worth their salt has been "done".  It helps
to keep the healthy paranoia going.

> Anyway, to cut a long story short, I decided to try out
> RH8.0. I'm not very impressed. Previously my box (266MHz K6 / 128Mb) was
> running RH 7 with a Ximian Gnome desktop and all was stable, and
> reasonably perky. Now I can only use the Gnome desktop if I log in as
> root (and go make a coffee while it's starting). Even then, it falls
> over after about 30 minutes of use.
>
> Until I get a new job I ain't going to be upgrading my hardware, so I'm
> thinking I might just put on a different Window manager (mwm works - but
> its just so ugly - and I need a launcher and file manager). Any
> recommendations for something thats easy on the eyes and the hardware?

Have you tried the Debian way?  I've not yet, but a friend has switched
from RH to Debian (basically because of RH8.0) and he says its great.  I
don't know how hardware-hungry it is, though.

Cheers,

Paul.

--
Particle Physics (Theory & Experimental) Groups                Dr Paul
Millar