[Scottish] Good ISP for ADSL business and hosting?

Andrew Back scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 31 10:49:01 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Michael Cameron wrote:

> >Anyone connected by ISDN?  ADSL not available up here certainly not at
> >my exchange for the foreseeable future.  Computer Shopper mentioned some
> >ISPs offering similar service on ISDN from 15 - 30 per month - any one
> >aware of such a service?
> >
> Sounds about right for restricted packages (off peak).   I've been with S=
urfanytime.net for 128K access but they've just raised the price and reduce=
d the package so I think I'm going to go back to Demon but it ain't cheap. =
=C2=A360+VAT/month =C2=A3250 setup fee + =C2=A324.99 for BT Surftime but on=
 the plus side it is 1:1 contention with no usage limits so is in effect a =
virtual leased line.  I think I can have up to 16 static IP addresses too.

> Could also try 123ISP, Gio, Quik, surfmad and others but I don't have ant=
 experience of them.

We used Gio ISDN in an office where DSL was unavailable. They disabled our
account when they discovered we were connected most of the daytime. We now
use Demon with no problems to date. Although I think theyre more expensive
and pretty sure they don't support both channels when connecting to their
'ROMP' that provides unmetered services.

Andrew