[Scottish] Good ISP for ADSL business and hosting?

Colin McKinnon scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 31 12:12:01 2003

Paxton, Darren wrote:

>Have you checked if an business cable modem service is available in your
>area? I'm not sure if you'd want to go down this route, but you could always
>look at hosting all your services yourself, this would allow you full
>control over your website and also SMTP management. However the downside to
>this would obviously be that your website would be limited in bandwidth by
>whatever upload speed is determined by your connection.

....not to mention the fact that any ISP worth their salt is going to
put a lot of time and effort into ensuring that their facilities are
available and secure - I wouldn't want to undertake that responsibility
for the sake of shaving a few pounds of the running costs. Also remember
that ADSL is not a "permanent" connection although most implementations
of it function as if they were.

Of course if you're ISP isn't up to the job you might be better off
doing it yourself.

 > I think NTL hold the franchise for Glasgow City Centre

Personally, I'm not very impressed with my domestic service from them:
    1) low bandwidth - although I've only got 128k link, it frequesntly
goes a LOT slower
    2) News servers - massively overloaded. I've given up trying to news
even with cron'ed leafnode
    3) Support - ha ha ha!

The phone works most of the time but I have had a couple of outages. I'm
now on my third set-top box in a year and still get regular outages.

Colin
(who gets work Email through an EdNet server via SMTP - I don't want to
go on and on but these guys are the dog's danglys)