[Scottish] Software RAID & LVM

Craig Perry scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 16 09:42:01 2003

Hi,

Thanks for the replies :) Just to answer a few of the questions:

CM> Take some time to think about how (if?) it will boot if hda goes down -
do you
CM> need a boot floppy?

The old 4Gb drive going into this system IS old, i don't really expect it to
last long, so the idea is once i got a system
running and just the way i want it, i'll burn a bootable CD and run
everything off of that, i like this idea :)

CM> If you need to edit the fstab how will you get access to it?

For day to day work i will have SSH access over a WiFi link, but even
better, i wrote a small PHP web app
along the same lines as webmin which allows me to do the simple things in
life really easily :) this is the setup
i got on my current system. If things really go pear shaped, i got
BIOS+Grub+Linux all redirecting to /dev/ttyS0
because this is a headless system, so i can just get a terminal plugged into
it :)

CM> How do you boot the root filesystem off a RAID device?

I dont really want to be including the 4Gb drive in the RAID setup, i'd
prefer it to be totally seperate, all that's going on
that is the OS and the logs (/var et al). I read up on LVM a while ago and
it said you couldn't boot from an LVM
pool of disks and so i had already decided to go down the 2 disks, 2
purposes route.

I like the idea of splitting the disks into 10Gb chunks, hadn't thought of
that one!

Thanks again!

Regards Craig.