[Scottish] Re: Anybody want an HP Deskjet 500 printer?

William Anderson scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 16 11:58:01 2003

Mike Quin wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I'll be very surpised if any of the current crop of entry-level inkjets
> are still usable in 13 years.

Mmmm, I agree for most brand - Lexmark springs to mind as being 'flimsy',
but my DeskJet 840C is very well built, and it's still doing well after >
two years of sterling service.  I think hp are one of the few printer
manufacturers who haven't wholly succumbed to the 'dumb' printer ethos,
hiving all the smarts off to the (invariably Windows) PC.

The original DeskJets were built like tanks tho, as were the "proper"
LaserJets (e.g. the ones with proper bins and output space on the top, not
like the 5L and variants).

I only recall losing an hp printer to just general wear and tear, e.g.
several hundred pages a day for about three or four years.  Great printers.

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like