[Scottish] Re: Anybody want an HP Deskjet 500 printer?

Phil Deane scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 16 18:45:01 2003

On Monday 16 June 2003 1:32 pm, David Marsh wrote:

> Actually, when I got my new printer (Epson Stylus C60) it was precisely
> because Epsons were well-supported in Linux through CUPS/gimp-print, which,
> at the time lowish-end HPs weren't (I think in fact HP were being very
> secretive and uncooperative with the driver writers). In general, I do have
> a lot of respect for HP but it seems that after the days of the DJ 5xx
> series 'armoured vehicles' they did go through a phase of dumbing down
> their consumer printers _too much_ and down the dark road of Winprinters
> they did go.. :-(

Epsons have an internal timer, which counts the pages you print, and when it
gets too high it just stops working, and reports an unknown error.

It happened to my epson stylus 580.

Online I bought a program for $10 which you can use to reset it(in win 98
though) and now it works great again.

--

Phil Deane
http://www.MiracleExpress.force9.co.uk