[Scottish] parity errors on scsi tape drive

Tam McLaughlin scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 25 08:51:00 2003

Hi, I have started to get the following intermittent error in the syslog when
doing a backup to an external SCSI 20/40Gb DAT drive which has sometimes
caused the server to hang.

kernel: st0: Error 70002 (sugg. bt 0x0, driver bt 0x0, host bt 0x7).
 Jun 24 20:30:27 moon
kernel: (scsi1:A:6:0): parity error detected in Data-in phase. SEQADDR(0x1a3)

I have checked the external SCSI cable and the cable from the external SCSI
connector which is connected the the internal SCSI card. I have also checked
the termination which is set to automatic (IIRC) and the DAT drive has been
terminated.
The SCSI card is an adaptec AIC7899 ultra160 wide with an HP 20/40 Gb DAT
drive running Linux Mandrake 8.1

I have searched around and not found much on this apart from the fact that it
could be a cable problem.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about this?