[Scottish] Debian: need help installing new kernel package

David Marsh's list-reading hat scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 2 15:26:01 2003

[Traditional interleaved quoting: please read to end for all comments]

Hi David,

On 02 Mar 2003 15:11:59 +0000
David Irvine <Maillist@glasgownet.com> wrote:

> >     initrd=/initrd.img
> >     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Yes, basically what you ar ebeing warned about is that you need an
> initrd before your machine will boot, so to avoid hosing anything too
> badly it wimps out unless you tell it otherwise.

I figured that! :-)
And a wise move on its part, too..

> Make sure that you have /initrd.img or more likely that it points
> somewhere useful like /boot/initrd-2.4.20-k7.img

err, but _how_, though? %-(

Obviously even by taking the not-real-man's way out of going through
apt-get rather than compiling my own kernel, it's still assuming a level
of knowledge that I don't have!

Can you tell me how and where do I conjure up this initrd.img from?

Thanks,

David.

--
David Marsh, <email valid @time of writing> | http://web.viewport.co.uk/