[Scottish] Debian: need help installing new kernel package

David Irvine scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 2 15:14:01 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-02 at 14:49, David Marsh's list-reading hat wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade my kernel under Debian.
>
> I'm trying to install kernel-image-2.4.20-k7, but have got stuck.
> Can anybody help me?
>
> I get this:
<snip>

> erm, does this mean I should make /etc/lilo.conf look like this in the
> appropriate place?
>

>     initrd=/initrd.img
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, basically what you ar ebeing warned about is that you need an
initrd before your machine will boot, so to avoid hosing anything too
badly it wimps out unless you tell it otherwise.

Make sure that you have /initrd.img or more likely that it points
somewhere useful like /boot/initrd-2.4.20-k7.img

and a line in lilo pointing to it.

The debian was is to have /initrd.img and /vmlinuz as links to the real
kernel images so that when you install a new one, it just changes the
links in / and re runs lilo.

hth

david