[Scottish] Making scotlug mailing list available via gmane ne ws gateway?

David Marsh's list-reading hat scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Mar 5 16:29:01 2003

[Traditional interleaved quoting: please read to end for all comments]

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 15:45:01 -0000
Colin.Speirs@scotland.gsi.gov.uk wrote:

> On another mailing list, an adjunct to an alt. newsgroup (a clean one
> though, well, ish) the same conclusion has come to us which is why
> we're talking about building a web interface to a news server to allow
> people to participate by both web and trad news reader.

Heh.. It's amazing how things come full circle, isn't it!

Certainly I think that having a message "forum" (for want of a better
word) and then allowing people to access it by *whichever* of email,
web, news suits them, strikes me as the best solution.

It's when you get web-only forums I get fed up: what about those of us
who don't have always-on connections? Yet there are so many sites which
only have web forums, and don't have email lists, etc..

Possibly the worst thing to happen to news was the simply dreadful
online-only "newsreader" that Netscape Communicator for Windoze came
with. AFAIK, you can't use it as an offline reader, so for most folk,
it's useless! And that's me speaking as a geek: ordinary users would be
put off 'this strange thing called news' for life.. [1]

The first thing I do when faced with a need to read news on a Windoze
machine is use said copy of Netscape to download slrn ;-)
(Or FreeAgent, if I won't be using the machine for any long period)

> News does seem to be the preserve these days of techheads, geeks,
> oldbies and the occasional binary downloader

[1] This is arguably not a bad thing: the signal:noise ratio on clueful
groups still tends to remain pretty good! :)

--
David Marsh, Glasgow, Scotland, N Europe. | http://web.viewport.co.uk/
<email valid @time of writing>, but reply to list preferred, thanks.