[Scottish] Making scotlug mailing list available via gmane ne ws gateway?

scottish@mailman.lug.org.uk scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Mar 5 16:10:02 2003

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2E32E.2F31D170

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely
 for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.

> The thing with news (which has come as a shock to me, but then I'm
> prehistoric in web [sic] terms ;-)) is that generally only
> oldtimers and
> geeks do news (in the traditional usenet sense). Newbies (admittedly,
> we're probably not talking about Linux users here!) have
> enough trouble
> getting to grips with email, that news is just a completely
> alien planet
> to them.. ;-(

On another mailing list, an adjunct to an alt. newsgroup (a clean one
though, well, ish) the same conclusion has come to us which is why we're
talking about building a web interface to a news server to allow people to
participate by both web and trad news reader.

News does seem to be the preserve these days of techheads, geeks, oldbies
and the occasional binary downloader

cds

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2E32E.2F31D170

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: [Scottish] Making scotlug mailing list available via gmane news =
gateway?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY><CODE><FONT SIZE=3D3>************************************************=
*****************************<BR>
This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely<BR>
 for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.<BR>
**<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></CODE>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>*********************************************************=
******</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; The thing with news (which has come as a shock to m=
e, but then I'm</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; prehistoric in web [sic] terms ;-)) is that general=
ly only </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; oldtimers and</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; geeks do news (in the traditional usenet sense). Ne=
wbies (admittedly,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; we're probably not talking about Linux users here!)=
 have </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; enough trouble</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; getting to grips with email, that news is just a co=
mpletely </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; alien planet</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; to them.. ;-(</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>On another mailing list, an adjunct to an alt. newsgroup =
(a clean one though, well, ish) the same conclusion has come to us which is=
 why we're talking about building a web interface to a news server to allow=
 people to participate by both web and trad news reader.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>News does seem to be the preserve these days of techheads=
, geeks, oldbies and the occasional binary downloader</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>cds</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>