[Scottish] FreeSwan

Ian Drake, IT, CIR, SE Dunbartonshire scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Mar 12 13:50:02 2003

OK,

I'll admit, I'm new to VPNs (on linux anyways). I am fortunate to be allowed
to run a server in my office which has a single IP address on eth0, and I
also have a cable modem connection at home. So, what I was thinking was VPN
between the office and home (home has 2 subnets 192.168.0/24 for PC's on the
LAN, and 192.168.100/24).

My initial idea was to bind a number (172.16.16.16 for instance) to eth0:1
on the office server, and set-up up a PSK'd freeswan link between home and
the office (stating 192.168/16 as the home addresses, getting confused yet?)
but as you can imagine I ran into a few problems with this, the least of
which is that my cable modem is DHCP'd and I'm specifying it's IP address in
both ipsec.conf and ipsec.secrets.

Does anyone have an idiots guide on net-to-host VPNing that will allow the
net side to have a dynamic IP?

any advice is considered help, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about
VPNs with freeswan.

Thanks,

Ian

PS for the curious, I was setting the office's private subnet as being
172.16.16.16/32 which is probably very very silly.

Scottish Enterprise Network
http://www.scottish-enterprise.com

Headquarters Address & Contact Numbers

150 Broomielaw