[Scottish] [OT] Anybody know about solaris?

Colin McKinnon scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 21 13:45:01 2003

Allan Bruce wrote:

>I am hoping to run Netscape on Sun2 but view it on Sun1s desktop (a VNC
>desktop).  The error message is:
>
>Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>Error: Can't open display: genesis:1

Aha. Quick fix, on Sun1, try:
    xhost +sun2
(or whatever sun2's real hostname is) will probably work. See 'man
xauth' for more info on access control for X.
When you're all done, run:
    xhost -sun2

>If only vnc would run on Sun2, I would be happy but for some reason it says:
>vncserver: unknown command
>even though vncserver and Xvnc are in the path and they are also in the
>directory I am currently in

vncserver on my box is implemented as a Perl script and references
various other binaries, creates an xauth file and installs a xstartup
file if one doesn't exist (I can never remember whether its .xinitrc or
.Xclients or.....). You might want to add in a few 'print "Got this
far\n";' lines in to see what's not working.

HTH

Colin