[Scottish] [OT] Anybody know about solaris?

Michael Cameron scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 21 13:49:01 2003

>I am hoping to run Netscape on Sun2 but view it on Sun1s desktop (a VNC
>desktop).  The error message is:
>
>Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>Error: Can't open display: genesis:1
>
>If only vnc would run on Sun2, I would be happy but for some
>reason it says:
>vncserver: unknown command
>even though vncserver and Xvnc are in the path and they are also in the
>directory I am currently in

I think you should look at sun2 since that is where it looks like your
problems lie; as already suggested, xauthentication would be a good place to
start.
I have had some problems using vnc on solaris but it was a long time ago and
I have no notes to hand.  I found that you need to ensure that you are using
a particular shell (csh IIRC) and have certain environment variables set up
correctly (?).  You should be able to sort this out by looking at the vnc
log files and/or startup scripts which vnc creates in a directory called
.vnc (again IIRC).

Good luck, sorry to be so vague, if I can find more info I will send it.

MC