[Scottish] Acaltel Speedtouch 330 USB

Jay Scott scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Mar 28 20:53:00 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: scottish-admin@mailman.lug.org.uk
[mailto:scottish-admin@mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Phil Deane
Sent: 28 March 2003 20:38
To: ScotLUG
Subject: [Scottish] Acaltel Speedtouch 330 USB

I have got the modem running well under slackware 9.0. Here is the steps
I took to get it running.

Regards
Jay

-------------------------

1.  Get the latest version of speedtouch from
http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net;

2.  tar -zxvf the download file and cd into the speedtouch-x.x.x
directory;

3.  Follow the instructions (basically configure, make, make install).
This will create the necessary pppoa3, pppoa2 and modem_run binaries and
will install them into their default directories. I recommend that you
use
the pppoa3 binary, by the way - in fact the "adsl" config file below
will
only work successfully with pppoa3 in its default location of /usr/bin.

4.  Get either the alcaudsl.sys file or the mgmt.o binary from your
Windows system usually from C:\windows\system\ directory and copy it
somewhere sensible on your Linux system.  I use mgmt.o and tend to
copy it to /usr/local/sbin, together with the modem_run binary mentioned
above.  (The script in section 6 assumes you'll do the same, if not
change
the path to these two binaries to reflect where you copy them.)

5.  Create a file called /etc/ppp/peers/adsl (copy and paste the
following, replacing user.name@blah.btinternet.com with your details)
Please note that, where they apply, the "" are necessary:

debug
kdebug 1
noipdefault
defaultroute
pty "/usr/bin/pppoa3 -c -m 1 -vpi 0 -vci 38" sync user
"user.name@blah.btinternet.com"
novjccomp
noaccomp
nopcomp
nomagic
noccp
asyncmap 0
usepeerdns
holdoff 4
persist
maxfail 25
lcp-echo-interval 0
lcp-echo-failure 25

6.  Create another file called "adslon" (or whatever) by copying and
pasting the following.  [This script initialises the USB subsystem and
loads the modules necessary for it - and ppp to work]

#!/bin/bash
=20
modprobe usbcore
modprobe usb-uhci
sleep 5
modprobe n_hdlc
mount none /proc/bus/usb -t usbdevfs
/usr/local/sbin/modem_run -m -f /usr/local/sbin/alcaudsl.sys=20
modprobe ppp_synctty
modprobe ppp_generic

This script should be installed in /sbin and made executable as root:

chmod +x /sbin/adslon

In addition, make sure the following entries appear in /etc/modules.conf
(if not, type them in):

alias tty-ldisc-3 ppp_async
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate
alias tty-ldisc-13 n_hdlc
alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias char-major-108 ppp_generic
alias tty-ldisc-14 ppp_synctty
alias usb-interface0 usb-uhci
alias /dev/ppp ppp_generic

7.  Edit /etc/ppp/options to read thus:

        lock
        noauth
        noipdefault
        usepeerdns

8.  Edit /etc/ppp/chap-secrets to read thus (change user string and
password to match your BT Internet logon details):

        user.name@blah.btinternet.com   *       PassWord

9.  Finally, create a symbolic link from /etc/resolv.conf to
/etc/ppp/resolv.conf:

        ln -s /etc/ppp/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

10. If you do all this then I think you're ready to go, thus:

a) Initialise the modem (su to root):

        /sbin/adslon

   The modem should flash a few times

b) Start the pppoA connection (again as su root):

        pppd call adsl

That=92s you all done :)