[Scottish] Floodwiring new houses

Colin McKinnon scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun May 11 21:42:00 2003

Julian Gibson wrote:

> All
>
> Thanks for the replies so far.  I should have perhaps
> worded the question differently.
> A friend of mine is building some houses and I suggested
> to him he ought to offer them pre-wired.  What premium do
> you think the average (and I realise we here are not)
> punter would pay over a standard house to have it wired
> as previously described?
>
> Cheers
> Julian

Hi J,

I'm sceptical as to how many house buying punters would perceive
structured cabling as a benefit. When I was commissioning wiring for
offices, a typical cost was a bout £30 per point (yes I know that
someone would have done it cheaper - but lets just use that for
arguments sake). I would reckon you would want (say) 4 points per room -
thats £120 per room. 3 Bedrooms, kitchen, living room and dining room -
thats £720 as the cost for flooding it with wiring.

I reckon that the best way to make it look more attractive would be to
chuck in some more electronics - e.g. front door surveillance camera
linked into the telly system (available off the shelf for about £150)
and an ADSL link / preconfigured router, some method of routing audio
through the house. That way you're not just selling (boring) structured
cabling, you're selling a techno-house!

The capital cost of this is relatively small in  relation the value of
the property - so I expect that offered as 'dealer option' on a new home
it could be a winner for, say £3500 (healthy margin) on top of the
£100,000+?

I wouldn't go out looking for it as an option - but then I won't spend
£100 on Microsoft Windows ;)

Colin