[Scottish] Copyleft report

Allan Whiteford scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue May 27 10:50:00 2003

Janice,

If you've not already then you should read "The Cathedral and the Bazaar".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001088/

It's not particularly technical in the sense of the mechanics of writing
software so is probably ideally suited to what you want.

Probably after speaking to a few people and reading up on stuff you'd be
in a better position to make up a questionnaire. One question which would
perhaps give interesting results would be to ask people if they use free
software because of moral/ethical reasons or just because it's better.

Personally, I realise that the free aspect of it contributes to it being
of a high quality but the actual reason I use it is because it's better,
in my opinion. You'll find plenty of other people who will choose the free
option just because it's free and not because it's better.

Thanks,

Allan