[Scottish] Onboard LAN

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 22 14:26:12 GMT 2003

On Saturday 22 November 2003 10:11, Janice wrote:
> Hi again,
> Think I have made a big mistake.
> Does the following mean that I don't have the kernel source installed?
>
> [janice at localhost janice]$ rpm -qa | grep kernel
> kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.31-13
> kernel-2.4.20-6

IIRC you would expect to see a:
	kernel-source-2.4.20-6
too if the kernel sources were installed.

If you install drivers from a binary rpm, then (usuallly) it needs to be an
exact match for the kernel version. Recompiling from source circumvents many
of the problems - but not always.

You might want to think about a kernel upgrade; I think RH9 is now on 2.4.20-9
(although I wouldn't expect much difference in the driver compatibility
between different patch levels of the same kernel version).
See also https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2003-135.html

Certainly the kernel version for the nforce binary RPM for RH9 is at 2.4.20-9
(see also http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261).

With the binary rpm installed, what happens when you try:
	modprobe -v nvnet
?

If you want to go the compile-your-own route, then maybe you should ask if
someone could put the kernel src rpm on a CDROM (IIRC you are on a dialup?).
I'd offer but I never seem to use RH9 any more and don't have CD Burner.

HTH

Colin