[Scottish] Onboard LAN

Janice jinty at telinco.co.uk
Sun Nov 23 12:52:09 GMT 2003

Thanks Colin,

> IIRC you would expect to see a:
> 	kernel-source-2.4.20-6
> too if the kernel sources were installed.
>
> If you install drivers from a binary rpm, then (usuallly) it needs to be an
> exact match for the kernel version. Recompiling from source circumvents many
> of the problems - but not always.

I used NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.rh90up_2.4.20_6.athlon.rpm and not the one
for the upgraded kernel.

> With the binary rpm installed, what happens when you try:
> 	modprobe -v nvnet

I get messages about unresolved symbols like

/lib/modules/2.4.20-6/kernel/drivers/net/nvnet.o:unresolved symbol etc..

> If you want to go the compile-your-own route, then maybe you should ask if
> someone could put the kernel src rpm on a CDROM (IIRC you are on a dialup?).
> I'd offer but I never seem to use RH9 any more and don't have CD Burner.

I've obviously made a mistake somewhere along the line so do you reckon
this is the best thing to do?
I do intend to go along to the next meeting (if I don't catch the flu
from my son).

Janice