[Scottish] NAT vs multiple IP addresses

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 11 22:00:14 2003

On Monday 08 September 2003 19:34, George Mclachlan wrote:
>   Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looks like I will go for the
> cheaper package. The only problem is F2S site says their packages are
> non-Nat

?

This is the Scottish Linux Users group isn't it?

Just checking. What do you mean they are non-Nat?

If you mean that the router they supply won't do Nat - so what! Set up one box
to act as a masquerading router for your other machines, or run a proxy on
it. If you need to run publicly accessible services on the other machines use
port forwarding. Admittedly there are a (ever decreasing) number of services
which cannot work in this configuration, but there are a growing number of
connection tracking modules which eliminate this problem (e.g. for FTP,
irc....anybody know the status of the h323 module?).

I suppose if the contract specifically excludes you from using your own NAT
routing attached the connection they provide then morally your bound not to
use the service (although *technically* it would be nearly impossible for
them to find out).

Colin