[Scottish] SNMP

Andrew Back andy at smokebelch.org
Thu Sep 18 11:42:01 BST 2003

At a guess the enable options set whether you can access SNMP via the
local network (private) and the Internet. So I'd guess you want to enable
local SNMP. And you'd need to enable remote if the box running MRTG lives
elsewhere on the Internet.

The community options set a name that is required to access SNMP, in
effect a password. SNMP isn't terribly secure.. The GET option is the
community/password to be used for reading (metrics etc). The SET community
is the one used for setting parameters. I'd set them both and to different
strings. And then MRTG will need to be told what the string used for GET
community is.

Andrew

Andrew Back
a@smokebelch.org