[Scottish] Sending display to another machine

ray rayH at engineering-intelligence.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 08:37:50 BST 2003

On Thursday 25 September 2003 17:11, Allan Bruce wrote:
> the windows and "taskbar" appear for a few
> milliseconds and then disappear.  So there is nothing I can on the desktop
> at all

I do not understand.  As the KDE machine is headless, I take it that you are
having problems with the MS-Windows box?  If you want specific rather than
generic help you will have to be a bit more specific about your set-up and
what you have done/installed where.

Are you using a "standard" Linux distribution? If so which one?
What version of KDE are you using?
What version of XFree86 / VNC is installed?
Are you in run level 5?
Is there a special reason for running the (many years obsolete/insecure)
telnet daemon rather than openssh?

What version of MS-Windows are you using?
Have you installed an X server and/or VNC on the MS box? If so which versions?
Is the  MS-Windows installation "clean" or do you have anti-virus, port
blocking, etc. software running?
If the reason for telnet is because you do not have a MS-Windows ssh client,
you should get putty.exe and set the keyboard for the Linux session to
XtermR6.

Is your intention to be able to open a window on th MS box and perform a
graphical login to a KDE session on the Linux box?

--
ray