[Scottish] Help! SuSe installation

Robert Barbour rlbarbour at castleventures.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Dec 10 07:42:47 GMT 2004

SuSe 9.1 Personal.
AMD 2.4GHz processor, CD drive, CD writer, floppy drive, PCI card (came with Linux driver).
No updates installed (no web access, remember).
Network configured using KDE as best I could - probably some settings wrong. Problem with answering questions here at work is not being able to check info on machine!
Set TCP/IP, disabled DHCP, allocated IP address 168.192.0.11 and .12 to Linux & windows PC resp. (or was it 192.168?). Also set workgroup name to same on both.
I know about using Samba, but how?
The HP laserjet is several years old and does not have a slot for a network card, the three connections are Parallel (big plug), parallel (wee plug) and 'Applenet' or something, like  a DIN plug. How do I tell if it is a windows only printer?
Network use is for file sharing, printer sharing and maybe sharing internet access when I get broadband. Currently I have an external modem which I have managed to get as far as dialling my ISP (from the command line using ATDT etc).
This list turn-around is very slow, as I'm posting stuff during the day, but don't get the answer till the next day, so the offer of telephone help is for yesterday! I will email a phone number off-list, though.
Rob

Message date : Dec 09 2004, 06:09 PM