[Scottish] Help! SuSe installation

ray ray at engineering-intelligence.co.uk
Sun Dec 12 08:40:42 GMT 2004

On Friday 10 December 2004 07:42, Robert Barbour wrote:
RB> This list turn-around is very slow, as I'm posting stuff during the day, but don't get the answer till the next day, so the offer of telephone help is for yesterday! I will email a phone number off-list, though.

If we have not made contact before try calling me in the evening or before 09:30 any day.
SuSE 9.1 out of the box was not as good as 8.2 or 9.2 and had Yast and kernel updates before and just after it was released.

Your printer will be fine, and if plugged into the parallel port should be detected and configured automagically. If you ask Yast to install a samba server it will should by default share the printer and your home directory with Win98. You have to set up a network login on Win98 with the same username as on Linux and the same password as in samba on Linux (smbpasswd -a "username").
If you can see an icon for the floppy you should be able to access (and mount/unmount) it using KDE.  It works slightly differently in different versions of KDE (the current one is 3.3.2).
You should be able to set up your pointing device either in text mode or using the graphical interface to Yast/Sax2 in the KDE/system menu.

Gordon was right about it being much easier to demonstrate than explain.  I will try to bring a laptop on Thurs and some upgrades - do you have a DVD reader or CD only?

--
 ray