[Scottish] Failed RPM dependencies - what to do about 'em?

TC tc at emailetc.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 00:09:49 BST 2004

I'm trying to get multisync (http://www.multisync.org/) and synce
(http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/) going, to connect my WinCE PDA to
my linux box. As part of the messing-about I've tried to install the
multisync-evolution plugin, but I'm getting the following errors from
rpm:

[root at localhost downloads]# rpm -Uvh multisync-evolution-0.82-2.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        libgal-2.0.so.5 is needed by multisync-evolution-0.82-2
        libgal-a11y-2.0.so.5 is needed by multisync-evolution-0.82-2

Two questions:

1. Specifically, what do I do to fix those two problems?

but, more important:

2. What is the best approach for someone who is relatively clueless when
faced with a dependency failure?  In the past (and, indeed, about five
minutes ago for this case), I've started by searching on Google for the
culprits, ideally also in rpm form, and ended up in a maze of little
passages, all alike, with lamps going out, and pirates jumping out to
steal my patience. IMO, this dependency stuff is one of *the* biggest
remaining usability problems that leaves linux behind windows for the
clueless (like me - 'cept I'm stubborn and keep trying :-).

tia
tc