[Scottish] Recommendations on ISDN service/provider?

Ian Robertson ian at sskatings.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 7 20:14:55 BST 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 15:33, Colin Fraser wrote:
> Hi (at last),
>
> Sorry it's taken so long to respond and thanks to all all for their help and
> suggestions. Working in Ireland during the week, delays getting BT to convert
> my ISDN to DSL. etc. meant that it was all verrrry slow going.
>
> Particular thanks to Phil. Took your suggestion and signed up with force9
> (quoted you when I signed up - have they honoured the referral?).
>
> Same problems with the Alcatel modem, eventually gave up and bought a Zoom X5
> (modem, router, firewall and 4-port switch). Not cheap at 80GBP but  gives a
> lot of bang for the buck. Nice browser based configuration. I'd recommend it
> to anyone.
>
> Setup literally took minutes and (once I managed to spell my username -
> cfraser - how difficult can that be?) connected first time. The connection
> seems great. The bandwidth speed checker on their site reports 477kbs against
> a target of 460 for the service!
>
> Cheers and thanks to all,
>
> Colin
>
> Colin
>
> On Saturday 13 March 2004 22:05, Philip Ward wrote:
> > We got ADSL recently and I went with Force9. £21.99 a month and you get
> > 250Meg webspace plus 50MB cgi enabled webspace. The connection has been
> > reliable for the month we've had it.
> > As for modem/router I have been fighting an Alcatel USB modem for a
> > friend's Mandrake laptop and eventually gave up and got a cheap router
> > (Origo - £35 on ebay). No more problems.
> >
> > Phil.
> >
> > Colin Fraser wrote:
> > >BT have finally got the lead out and are enabling our exchange this week!
> > >Should have sorted this out ages ago but there's nothing like the eleventh
> > >hour to sharpen the mind.
> > >
> > >So I want an ADSL connection (scrapping my expensive ISDN line). Can
> > > anyone help with recommendations on modem to use, best provider, etc?
> > >
> > >Both BT and Tiscali offer free modems, but can these be used with Linux?
> > > I've seen the recommendations for Force9, but what gear should I get to
> > > be able to use them?
> > >
> > >Any help gratefully received - if I wasn't working in Ireland there'd be
> > > pints at the next meeting as an extra inducement but I suppose I'll just
> > > have to rely on your goodwill!
> > >
> > >TIA,
> > >
> > >Colin

Recently converted from ISDN to ADSL.  Demon handled conversion via BT
went very smoothly.

Demon allow NATS on Express Solo Product at 24.99 per month - less if
you pay year up front.

Installed Netgear 834G router - everything was up and running in minutes
once ADSL was enabled. Demon gave the few parameters required - no
problems at all in installation. Have upgraded firmware in router since
but the only problem was  when there was a circuit failure courtesy of
BT - apart from that everything excellent.

Can recommend router approach and Demon Internet.
--
Ian Robertson
Tel +44 (0)1224 624811