[Scottish] Failed RPM dependencies - what to do about 'em?

Ben Thorp THORPB at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jun 15 16:39:40 BST 2004

scottish-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote on 15-06-2004 16:13:44:

> > If you want something that automatically resolves dependency problems,
you
> > want either apt or yum.
>
> And, at the risk of repeating the whole sorry tale, how would I get
> hold of RPMs for apt or yum (given that I'm on RH 9.0)?

rpmfind.net has hits for both apt and yum, including the below link for apt
which is a freshrpms update for RH9:

http://www.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/freshrpms/redhat/9/apt/apt-0.5.5
cnc6-fr1.i386.html

> (FWIW, I *part* solved my multisync problem by downloading the
> source and compiling it myself.  However, only some of the plugins
> compiled properly - the key evolution one wouldn't.  And while
> I'm relatively clueless when it comes to resolving dependencies
> in precompiled RPMs, I'm entirely hopeless when a C compile
> falls on its bum.)
>
> Actually, I overstate my han'lessness.  I know more about this stuff
> than your average Joe in the street.  And the fact that *I* can't do
> something as simple as this surely proves that Linux is still *miles*
> away from Windows in usability for the common man. *Miles*.

Are you talking miles away when RH9 was new, or still miles away now that
it has been superceded by Fedora? Additionally, while RedHat is one of the
most well known distros, it has never been hailed as the most user and/or
newbie friendly distro.