[Scottish] Failed RPM dependencies - what to do about 'em?

Ben Thorp THORPB at uk.ibm.com
Thu Jun 17 08:56:53 BST 2004

> Care to offer a ranking of distros, according to user/newbie
friendliness?

Based on reviews, and some (but not all) personal experience, I would like
to suggest some of the following distros:

 - Xandros: looks like they've done a lot to make a solid, dependable,
Debian-based distro, with the Xandros Networks software install
 - Lin[dows|spire]: the distro we all love to hate, but it does have
usability on its side, plus their 'Click 'N' Run' apt-get frontend allows
for easy install of apps.
 - Mandrake: while they've made a few errors in the past, have consistently
aimed to provide a usable, newbie-oriented distribution
 - Fedora: still very much a work in progress, although with a solid base
to work on.

As a side note, and one that has oft been repeated, IMO apt-get provides
software installation that surpasses that of Windows. One command (or a few
clicks in Synaptic, or similar) and the software downloads, including
dependencies, and installs (including entries on the menu).

mrben