[Scottish] Fwd: Motion in the Scottish Parliament

Willie Fleming willie at itscotland.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 14:09:37 GMT 2004

Subject: Motion in the Scottish Parliament
Date: Tuesday 09 November 2004 13:34
From: <Patrick.Harvie.msp at scottish.parliament.uk>
To: <Patrick.Harvie.msp at scottish.parliament.uk>

Dear colleague,

Following the report by the Office of Government Commerce, I have lodged a
 motion on Open Source and Free Software, a copy of which follows.  So far,
 most of my Green colleagues have signed, as well as two Liberal Democrats
 and two Scottish Nationalist Party members.  I hope you'll think the motion
 is worth supporting, and that those of you in Scotland will be willing to
 contact your MSPs to ask if they intend to sign it.  If doing so, please
 make sure that you give them the motion number and title.

If you have any suggestions for improvements to the line followed by the
 motion, please let me know so that my future work on this topic can benefit
 from your perspective.

You can check the names and email addresses of your constituency and regional
 MSPs here: http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/msp/index.htm

Cheers,

Patrick Harvie MSP
Green Party speaker on all things geeky

S2M-1921 Patrick Harvie: Open Source and Free Software-That the Parliament
 welcomes the findings of the Office of Government Commerce's report
 following proof-of-concept trials of Open Source software; notes that the
 report concludes that Open Source software is a viable and credible
 alternative to proprietary software and that its use can generate
 significant savings in hardware and software costs and reduce licensing
 costs and hardware refresh requirements; notes the significant financial and
 environmental benefit that could arise from a policy of adopting Open Source
 software, including the GNU/Linux operating system; notes the long-term
 dangers for organisations in becoming locked into proprietary systems;
 further believes that the principles of free software and concepts such as
 Copyleft can help to protect important rights and freedoms for people in an
 increasingly digital age, and urges the Scottish Executive to develop a
 strategy for promoting the adoption of free software and Open Source
 wherever workable throughout the public sector and to ensure that all
 software developed with public funds is copylefted. Supported by: Shiona
 Baird, Eleanor Scott, Mark Ballard, Chris Ballance, Mr Bruce McFee, Robin
 Harper, Stewart Stevenson, Mike Pringle, Donald Gorrie

----------------------------------
Patrick Harvie MSP
Green Group

Room MG.15, Scottish Parliament
Edinburgh, EH99 1SP

Studio 6, St George's Studios
St George's Road, Glasgow, G3 6JA

0131 348 6365 / 0141 332 6405
patrick.harvie.msp at scottish.parliament.uk
www.patrickharviemsp.com

"The information in this e-mail transmission and any files or attachments
 transmitted with it are strictly confidential and may contain privileged
 information. It is intended solely for the person or organisation  to whom
 it is addressed and if you are not the intended recipient, you must not
 copy, distribute, disclose or take any action in reliance on it. If you have
 received this e-mail in error, please delete it from your computer system
 and notify the sender as soon as possible.

While this e-mail message and attachments have been swept by MIMEsweeper for
 the presence of computer viruses, the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body
 does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for
 damage sustained as a result of a virus. It is the recipient's
 responsibility to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of
 this message and any attachments will not adversely affect their systems or
 data or otherwise incur liability in law.

Visit  the Parliament's website at  http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/ or
 watch the Parliamentary business live at
 http://www.scottishparliamentlive.com/"

Willie Fleming
willief at gmail.com