[Scottish] Problem resolving local network PC names to IP addresses

Andy Potter agp at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Nov 12 19:43:55 GMT 2004

Hi folks,

	I have a small home network consisting of a mixture of Linux and
Windows PC's that are supplied with IP addresses from a Belkin
F5D7630-4A ADSL Modem Wireless Router via DHCP.

	How can I get the local PC's to 'see' each other by hostname rather
than only by IP address ?

	I have also noticed that the router only displays the Windows PC's
hostname in the client list. It does not show the Linux PC's hostname.
Is there anything I need to run that will allow the router to determine
the hostname of the Linux PC's ?

	Would I be better using a Linux PC to do the DHCP ( which I assume
would also then be able to do DNS on the internal network) and just
point this machine at the router to pick up the Internet DNS ?

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

--
Andy Potter <agp at dsl.pipex.com>