[Scottish] Router and network question

Willie Fleming willie at glasgownet.com
Mon Nov 15 14:45:36 GMT 2004

On Monday 15 November 2004 14:29, Magnus Lawrie wrote:
> hi,
>
> I want to set up a home network with both wires and wireless. I got hold
> of a few bits of kit: a D-Link modem; wireless router; wireless AP.
> Unfortunately the wireless router doesn't appear to work. So I am trying
> to figure out my best option. I am considering these:
>
> 1. get the wireless router fixed (minimum £15)
What is wrong with the wireless router? Who quoted £15? Got lots of old
powerbricks if its a PSU issue.
> 2. buy a new router and use the existing AP to implement wireless
> functionality on the network.
>
> 3. build a router from an old 386 (if I can find one amongst the
> debris). I guess this would work out as expensive as the 4port router
> once I had purchased a coupe of network cards and a hub.
I have a couple of P90  class boards here that you are welcome to. They will
have sufficient RAM for the purpose. I was intending to use them for
Smoothwall boxes but I think I could spare you one.  I'm sure I can find a
case and PSU to suit as well. Cant help you with a hub though or old NICs cos
again they will do for Smoothwalls :-(
Shout soon cos Im about to trawl the old m/bs for unknackered smoothing caps
to try and rescue some newer boards.