[Scottish] OT: Desperately seeking Claris

Willie Fleming willie at glasgownet.com
Tue Nov 23 22:03:23 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 02:01, Colin McKinnon wrote:
Hang on a sec, I answered this at 22:00ish on Tuesday night ......

> "No he covets, that's his nature. And how do we begin to covet Claris? Do
> we seek out things to covet? Make an effort to answer."
>
> ...in a sequitor to the discussion on computers for mothers, I'm
> desperately trying to track down a copy of Claris Works for Windows. My
> mother had been using Claris Works extensively on her old PC before it gave
> up the ghost (HD died) and I replaced it with a Linux box. It was a
> licensed copy on the Windows box (but I can't find the packaging/license
> anywhere, and the copies of the install floppies have blanked over the
> years).
>
> It no longer seems to be available to buy, and I can't find anything which
> will happily read the files.

> I'm willing to pay (gasps from the audience) for an official copy.
Really? How much?
Ive just checked my normally chaotic floppy filing system. Very chuffed to say
it took <10 secs to find 2 floppies that look genuine. The problem is I cant
recall how many floppies there should be. OTOH the floppies dont say disk 1
of 7 .
From the very little I remember of Claris Works it does a small no of simple
things reasonably well so possibly 2 floppies is feasible.

no scribbling on the labels and the writeprotect tab looks like its never been
moved so you may be in luck. I have nothing running right now with a FDD so
they are totally untested.
You also get a free copy of FileMaker Pro  (on 3 discs) as well.

Will you be at the meeting on Thursday? Or should I give them to Lawrence?

--
Willie Fleming
willie at glasgownet.com