[Scottish] Re: [edlug] Linux training, Chateau projects

Tim Day timday at bottlenose.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 19:47:16 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 14:04, Magnus Lawrie wrote:
> Currently there are several recycled machines running Ubuntu. There is a
> DHCP server (floppy distro) and a broadband connection. I want to
> develop things further: introduce a web server, DMZ, maybe some greater
> network transparency and at least one machine running video editing
> software. A wireless node would also be a good addition.

What kind of broadband connection were you planning on getting ?
If it's ADSL you'll probably have ~250Kbit/s upsteam maximum (don't know
about cable).  If you're going to have your users putting videos they've
created on your web server and inviting the rest of the world to view
them... well, the rest of the world may find itself waiting a long time
for your stuff to download.  A better option IMHO might be to rent an
offsite (virtual) server which will have much better connectivity.
Maybe you can get a good deal for a community/charity/non-profit type
organization  (seem to remember some previous discussion on the list
mentioning a local ISP) ?

Sorry, can't offer any advice on training.
--
Tim Day - www.timday.com