[Scottish] Red tape and no scissors

Craig Perry craig at onemanstudfarm.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 00:59:35 BST 2004

Hi all,

a few weeks ago I started creating a driver for the blackberry under linux. I'm at the stage now where I'd like to release it as alpha code, but unfortunately still don't have clearance from work.

My contract states that anything I create within the line of the business, either in work or at home, belongs to them.

As I work for tmobile and we sell the rim blackberry this is within the line of business (not strictly, but I don't want to take my chances).

I started the ball rolling to get a letter from someone with relevant authority releasing all rights to me so I could gpl the software, but it's taking forever.

Does anyone have any ideas how I could allay any fears that they may be passing up an opportunity to make money, as with tmobile I believe this is the most likely reason it's taking so long.

I know I could just release it under my partners name, or anonymously but I would prefer to keep my name at the top (purely for vanity purposes!).

Does anyone have any tips or ideas that I could hit them with, no lies though, just to rest their minds that this isn't something they could exploit?

Thanks,

Craig